Church of the Visitation

Church of the Visitation

Chiesa della Visitazione - Clicca per IngrandireThe Church and Convent of the Visitation were built in 1641 by the desire of the Duchess Orsini, designed by architect Horace Bracciano Turriani which involved the construction of a convent of Poor Clares and Franciscan, spending was supported by donations from the Community of Bracciano and by the Duke Flavio Orsini.

In 1669, the nuns were able to enter the convent and there they remained until al1800, the year in which the Napoleonic decrees suppressed it.

In 1834 the structure was inhabited by the Augustinian Sisters of Divine Love, which, still within the conventthere managed a boarding school for the education of the local young girls.

To allow this project to the convent, the Duke of Bracciano of the time (Marino Torlonia 1803 – 1848), had restored the church and the monastery with the help of the Municipal Administration and some benefactors.

The morphology of the church today, the neoclassical façade and the oil painting of the Visitation date from this restoration, while of the previous church remains a painting in the counter and the shelf of the tabernacle of the main altar, the latter made during the restoration in marble and stucco.

In 1873 the convent, after the suppression of the religious orders of the Kingdom of Italy, passed into the hands of the state and so to the Municipality that ensured the opening of the church for worship and convent for the two nuns still alive, even if the building, because of the degradation as it was, had become uninhabitable.

In 1910 it was decided to sell the building and nuns were forced to move into their current location in Via Flavia (1912).

Today, in the shop Natural Beauty, located inside the building that once housed the monastery you can still see the stones that formed the walls of the ancient monastery, which in the period 1910-1922 was used as a store of carbon and as a shelter for the night for troops of soldiers passing through, when they were less places in the barracks.

Eleven years after the decision to sell the building, since no buyer came forward, the City decided to convert it into a popular houses for homeless families, while the church remained destined to the cult.

The main altar, made ​​of marble and stucco, is the result of the nineteenth-century restoration, as well as oil painting depicting the Visitation.

Lascia un Commento

MG JewelsShops
Crazy BullRestaurant
Altare del LupoReceptivity
Il BorgoIl Borgo
Santa Maria del RiposoSanta Maria del Riposo
La SentinellaLa Sentinella
La SentinellaLa Sentinella
Museum of the AirforceMuseum of the Airforce
The LakeThe Lake
The LakeThe Lake

Altri Articoli